Hindhead Cricket club was established in 1910 however we didn't start playing in the I'anson cup until 1913, where we played on a ground being the Royal Huts hotel. During our first match we were beaten but Shottermill however we later won at home to Tilford in August. A year later A. Carver made 49 not out against Shottermill. When cricket was finally resumed in 1920 we were without a ground and had to therefore play all of our matches away, sadly losing every game but we were not disheartened. We had our ground back the following season which often became the scene of Miller Cup winners v Rest matches during the twenties. Although we had little success in either competition the men of Hindhead always enjoyed their cricket ad were most sporting opponents.
Our stalwarts included H.M. Edmead, secretary of the competition for some years. He was the captain for a time and also played for Grayshott, as did C. Pratt, Frank Martin, who was in the Churt team before World War One, turned out for them, as well as Ben Chandler, but perhaps our best-known player was W.J. Punter, a fine bowler and skipper, aptly described by G.M Hubbuck as 'The Lion of Hindhead'.
We took our defeats with a smile but we had moment of triumph too. At a period in 1923, when Shottermill were will in the running for the cup their hopes were dashed by a home defeat at the hands of Hindhead. Hindhead made 103 and Shottermill 96. We withdrew from the competition in 1929 when the lease for our then ground ran out however we managed to acquire our current ground in time for the 1930 season. That year we defeated The Bourne, Headley and Tilford in successive weeks and had an unbeaten home record until the end of July. We finally left the competition in June 1932. Our departure was deeply regretted as we always played the game in the right spirit and our new ground was one of the best. However when our new ground was first used only the concrete basement of the pavilion had been created and players had the curious experience of diving down into a changing room below the level of the pitch. After completion it was finally opened in the summer of 1932.
There was no more enthusiastic member of the club in competition days than local constable PC Clutterbuck. Once, as so often happens with member of the force, he had to leave for duty before the match on the old ground was over. He was on patrol at the Huts corner when an urgent message came. Hindhead had made a recovery, had a chance of victory and needed him. He hurried down the road on his bike, flung off his helmet and tunic, seized a bat, dashed in and made the winning hit before speeding back to his post.